Thursday, May 15, 2008

too hot for cats

Today has been a day of record-breaking heat, which means that my apartment has been transformed into an oven. I've spent the day cocooned in the back bedroom, sitting in front of the computer with a fan (for me) and an ice pack (for the older of my two cats, who doesn't handle extreme heat well) trying to put an end to my history paper so that I can pour the rest of my free time into my study of sensation novels. For most of the day things went relatively well, but my apartment holds heat in irriating ways, so now that it's finally cooled off outside things inside have reached a peak of stuffy warm doom. I have fans blowing cool air in, but my body and brain are both complaining about how warm it is, which makes it hard to focus on the paper.

I did have lovely bacon & tomato sandwiches for dinner though, with gammon bacon, which my husband brought home because the butcher was so enthuasistic about it. It seems to be bacon made from leg instead of belly, and cured using more spices than typical American bacon, and is quite tasty on sandwiches, although I think regular slab bacon will still be my choice for wrapping around dates. Clearly I should do a test run of bacon-wrapped dates with all the different types of bacon I have access to? Yes, but later, when I have finished my papers and gotten through graduation and it is less hot.

Fortunately for my brain and my kitties, it's supposed to cool off marginally tomorrow. Every little bit helps.

No comments: