Wednesday, May 14, 2008

my inclusive nature manifests itself

I have been browsing book blogs (while I should be writing my paper, yes, I know, but I can't write constantly or my brain turns into something rather gloopy) and thinking about what I'm going to do with this space starting right now because if I plan and then wait until I have free time I'm much less likely to get around to it.

I don't think it will ever suit to me to write the beautifully crafted sort of blog in which I carefully present certain aspects of my life and leave all the rest out. Not to say that I don't edit -- I do, of course -- and not to say that such blogs are problematic, because I think they're they gorgeous. But I don't tend to know what I want to do with a thing until I think out loud about it, and if I were going to make a life-as-art sort of blog I would need to decide how to do it in some other space -- hide the process away as it were -- and simply present the finished results here. And that's just... not me.

So this is the post in which I muse about how I am going to start using this space, and then (one hopes) the next post is the one in which I start using the space in that way. But the musing must happen first, and it must happen visibly or somehow I am not satisfied.

What, then, do I want to do? I seem to have two goals:
1. Post close to every day; probably 4 out of 7, since it's hard to write coherently on the weekends, and I usually need one day a week to precolate.

2. Write about what I've been doing as well as what I've been thinking; I lean towards the latter to an almost absurd extent. Thus, book reviews (probably not super-formal ones), reports on knitting, cooking, & baking (maybe with pictures), Shakespearean picnics, library trips, lunch with Susan and so forth.

Thus, this is not going to be an X blog (X being 'books' or 'knitting' or whatever). In a way I regret that decision; I really enjoy reading blogs that focus on a single interesting aspect of the world -- but again, it's just not my style. I am more of an inclusive person than an exclusive one, the sort of woman who will often order three beverages at a restaurant because I want to try everything that looks interesting. (Which reminds me of a very happy memory: on the morning of my wedding I said Very Seriously to the site coordinator, "Could I have water and coffee with cream and orange juice?" and he oh so kindly and smilingly said, "Yes, of course," and I was presented with all three, which seemed in the moment to be a sure sign that everything would be perfect. Which it was!). So while I admire the sort of blog which digs really deep into one topic -- and while I suspect that my blog might be more interesting to readers if it only looked at one or two things -- once again, it's just not who I am.

I seem to know myself better and better each year, after my first few decades of learned obliviousness. How strange and delightful, knowing who I am.

1 comment:

BooksPlease said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I find that I need to write about something whilst it is fresh in my mind, otherwise it vanishes. My blog is mainly about books, but every now and then I write about cooking and food, trips out with the family and walking, or anything else that strikes me.

I hope you enjoy writing yours as much as I enjoy writing mine.