Friday, May 16, 2008

only one paper remains

A marvelous (as always) lunch today with Susan, in which we wandered aimlessly up & down Castro until I discovered that the restaurant which has been remodelling for a while is now open, and that my predictions were right -- dim sum! (I don't know how I could tell, but it just looked like a dim sum place from the outside while they were getting it in order.) So we had a very nice dim sum lunch, with mostly excellent food (the slippery noodles were a little bland, and the sticky rice ditto, but the taro balls and the shrimp dumplings were great, and they had mushrooms stuffed with shrimp in a black bean sauce that was phenomenal) and good conversation, and finished up afterwards at our usual coffee shop downtown. All of these places had air conditioning, which is a blessing, since it is once again Far Too Hot. I've retreated to the back room with the fan and the closed blinds and ice water, but since it didn't get cool enough during the night for my apartment to dump all of its excess heat, things are considerably worse than yesterday.

In spite of this, I've finished my Chinese history paper -- it's 2 pages too long, but I'm not going to spend the time editing it down, as it will certainly be sufficient in its current condition to get a good great. Now I must gather together all the books for my last paper and pile them up near my computer and start the terrifying process of doing my literary analysis and plugging it into the cultural-historical framework I constructed earlier in the month. And all while resisting the pile of Noel Streatfeild novels that inter-library loan has been acquiring for me...

No comments: