Tuesday, October 9, 2007

perhaps perhaps perhaps

I am not certain where my desire to share the little details of my life has gone off to, but it seems to have taken a permanent vacation. What a change from ten years ago, when I wrote a webjournal almost daily using bare-bones HTML out of an intense need to share myself with the world.

Is it just that I've become such a more private person now that I am so satisfied with the big picture of my life and so aware that the small details will work themselves out? Or is it that I have such excellent friends now that my desire to share myself is satisfied over afternoons at my favourite coffee shop, and the occasional evening in someone's living room with a cup of tea? Some of both, I think; I am certainly more private and less impelled to tell the world everything now that I realise that there are people in arm's reach who will be delighted to hear.

All of which is a complicated way of saying that I have more real connection with other people than I used to, and that I appreciate the interaction and engagement more than simple broadcasting. Oh, yes, I do realise that if I wrote here regularly I might have regular readers, and then there would be interaction and engagement -- but in a way that's part of why I'm reluctant to do so. I would worry about whether I was being read, and wonder who my readers were, and feel bad if I failed to update, and that -- all of that -- sounds so unpleasant, so much like added stress rather than spreading my wings in the world of the web.

So, you may ask -- at the very least I may ask myself six months from now -- why am I even writing this post? Well, I was playing around on Ravelry and through one link and another rediscovered Yarnstorm which is a lovely blog written by someone I might enjoy growing up to be. And there, gentle reader, is the gist of all this; I read someone else's description of their life, and I am inspired in tiny ways to change my own life, to make it more beautiful, more graceful, and above all, I suppose, to make myself more aware of the great beauty and grace that I already have. And in these moments of inspiration I think that it would be lovely to write my own blog, where I would describe all the joys (and no doubt some of the frustrations) of my life in such a way that I can see in my experience some of the qualities I find reading about the experiences of others. I frame my life through my own stories, and if I tell my life through my blog as a story of grace and kindness, understanding and real emotional connection, and turn my haphazard attempts to create warmth & beauty through knitting and cooking into a story other people can read, surely then I'll believe it all more myself?

That may seem disingenuous, but I do really mean it. I know that my own satisfaction with my life is to some extent based on how I understand it, and I think that my understanding is shaped by how I share it with other people. Couldn't I tell the story of my life here in a way that helps me be the person I really want to be, and to value the things I really want to value? Wouldn't it help me avoid being bogged down in the things which don't particularly matter?

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. But while I think all of this over, I must also go write a midterm about Freud as a writer and the influence of his psychological theories on literature. I anticipate one or two more posts here as the day (and the midterm) progresses, however, since my urge to write does also seem intimately connected to approaching academic deadlines.

No comments: