Wednesday, November 7, 2007

daydreaming of the weekend

As I continue to wrestle with the Jane Austen paper (three more paragraphs, I think, and then a good editing pass in the lab between classes tonight), I am relieving tension by daydreaming in spare moments about what I'm going to do with this, my first 100% paper-free weekend since the September trip to London.

There are, of course, some obvious necessities; I need to catch up on all the reading I should be doing right now, as well as accomplish the reading for the following week. I should, perhaps, do some laundry, as my kiss and a promise loads every Friday are not really making a substantial dent in the pile -- and as my husband & I are leaving for Orycon in Portland on Friday week, it would behoove me to have created a lot of clean clothing before then.

But that's all the necesities, and daydreaming about those is rather counter-productive. The real question is: what shall I do to enjoy myself? I am considering a wide variety of options; for instance, I could bake cookies (peanut butter, perhaps, or buttermilk, or chocolate chip, or something unexpected out of the nifty reprint of a 1960s Betty Crocker cookbook my mother-in-law bought me a few years back). Or take a trip to dim sum with friends on Saturday morning -- certainly luxurious, but perhaps not as satisfying to my lingering creative itch. Or I could finally get down to business with my baby blanket and weave in the ends so that it can be put through a washing machine and blocked if necessary and photographed for Ravelry and then finally handed off to the baby of choice before he graduates to toddling.

Or all three! The glory of daydreaming is that it doesn't have to take into account the limitations of time and energy, the need to run to the grocery for buttermilk, the fact of my husband being out very late Friday night (with the possible resultant difficulties in arranging dim sum the next morning), nor the time committment we already have on Sunday evening.

I am very fond of daydreaming, but alas, duty calls -- I must drive to campus and attend classes and finish up this paper in the spaces between.

No comments: